Sunday, October 24, 2010

Giving

When I was seventeen I had a VW buss.  The windshield was big and flat.  I took a dry erase marker and wrote the following all over the passenger side of the windshield.   Because of condensation I had to rewrite it a few times through the winter.


There are those who give little of the much which they have--and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.
And there are those who have little and give it all.
These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.
There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.
And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfulness of virtue;
They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.
Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.


It is Kahlil Gibran from his writing on giving.  I heard it first  in Sunday school when the Patriarch happened to once be my substitute teacher.  I at once embraced the idea that giving should be simply a function of life.  I believe that living with such an idea has granted me more peace and happiness than I would have found if peace and happiness were my goal.  
Unfortunately I also embraced the idea that life was all about giving.  I am afraid I found more suffering for myself and others because of it.  
Now I accept that I am not aways a fragrant myrtle tree , nor should I try to be.  Some days I am a stink weed.  It is a realization and an honesty that I struggle to implement in my life.  It is better when I do.
Thank you for the lesson.  
Below is a picture of me next to the Patriarch.



2 comments:

Christina Brittain said...

wow. been reading your blog. how so beautiful are you. meow

Christina Brittain said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.